Sunday, October 26, 2008

tonight i am so restless. instead of completing any one of my three BIG papers this week, i instead find myself doing anything to avoid them. mostly those distractions consist of researching mission organizations like the world race (thank you, michelle), cure international, cmfi, etc. etc. etc. i feel as if my lack of focus can be blamed on the fact that i am just so ready to be DONE! i so desperately want to be utilizing the gifts and skills that the Lord has graciously blessed me with. i feel a bit stir crazy thinking i have six and half more months of this! although the prospect of graduation is still terrifying in and of itself, i'm simply excited to watch God's plan for me unfold before my eyes. i was telling a friend at dinner this week, "i feel like i've been made for so much more." i'm ready. well, as ready as one who has no confidence in her own abilities can be. ha. but india showed me i can have full confidence in HIS abilities. i'm not even worried about my own at this point. just relying on Him.

i had a coffee date last night that was incredibly interesting and mentally exhausting. the gentleman i met with was an acquaintance and was far more intellectual than i could ever hope to be. he was discussing issues i have no knowledge about and was talking as if i did or at least should. it was overwhelming because it was all about Scripture and made me feel as if i didn't love Jesus nearly as much because of my ignorance. i finally looked at him at one point and said, "i wish i had the knowledge that you do, but the fact is, i don't. my relationship with Christ is very real and it's personal and i love Him very much, but i know nothing about the history behind his lineage and cultures and various countries and exiles, etc. etc. etc. i just know that He's changed my life." maybe that is the most ignorant thing to say, but i've never really felt the desire to read a million commentaries and research apologetics. do i think it's interesting? absolutely. but i'm afraid of making my faith so much about head knowledge. to me, the Gospel is simple. why complicate the fact that Jesus died on the cross for me, a dirty and broken and completely undeserving individual? i think there can be a great balance between head and heart, but i never want my head to overpower what i know Christ has done in my heart and spirit. i'm not exactly sure if all this makes sense because it's truly the first time i've verbalized it all, but i hope what i'm saying doesn't make me sound like a pagan...

anyway, i suppose 10:35 is a sufficient time to begin working on my midterm critique for tomorrow. ha. i just needed one more way to procrastinate... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey there, i see what you are saying. but also, that stuff does reach some - some people love it. i'm kinda in between because too much of it can be very off-putting, but i love it too in some ways. and yes, i am a nerd. i think what you said was fine because it's true for you and not everyone's meant to know all the apologetics. let the people who love that stuff do all that and you do what you're good at - loving people and inspiring them based on the love you have for Christ. :)

- kaley

Kristen McG said...

I am sooo right there with you. Jordan LOVES all of the apologetics, eschatology, hermeneutics, and all of those other big words that leaving saying, 'huh?'. I do find it fascinating and occassionally find myself wanting to know more in that direction, but I, like you, enjoy the simplicity of the gospel. Are we supposed to be ready in season and out to give a defense of the reason for the hope that we have within us? Absolutely. But I think that can be done without all of the big words :)
With that said though, I do so desperately want to know the Bible more.
I miss you and love you. I wish you'd blog more--- I love hearing your heart :)