Thursday, April 17, 2008

weekend at home...

God is amazing in so many ways and for so many reasons. as hard as last week was for me, i knew He was there in the midst. after my tearful post thursday night, i was able to drive home friday and had some really blessed time with my family.

i met kate at wal-mart that evening and we did the grocery shopping for suzi's shower and then ran some errands and made food until 1 am. ashtin stopped by and i was thankful for that. i just love that girl and the extra help was great. the next morning was a bit hectic, but the shower went off without a hitch and i think that suzi genuinely enjoyed it. after i was done with shower things for the day (5:15 pm), i made my way over to shane and alyssa's and then went on to grandma powell's after that. i meant to stay for only an hour or two, but was there until 11:30 that night! we talked about a lot of different things, but it was mainly good to talk about grandpa. i miss him-- i really, really do. we cried together for an hour and a half and fondly recalled last times together. i wish he was here now so that i could tell him about india and about what God is showing me. because he verbalized his acceptance of Christ so late in life, we never got to discuss that commonality. i think it would have changed our relationship a lot. it's 1 am right now, so april 17th has made it's way here. one year ago today he went to be with Jesus. i praise God for that. it's been the best year of grandpa's existence, but it doesn't keep me from crying either. grandma is doing okay...she is one incredible woman and i admire her strength. her love for Jesus encourages me and that's exactly the way i felt when i left her house that night. i missed an opportunity to spend time with friends that night, but God knew grandma needed me and i needed her.

sunday i went and visited mamaw and papaw rice before i headed out of town to go to another one of suzi's bridal showers in indy. while papaw was outside checking my car battery, grandma said, "stace, has your mom told you what i'm going to do?" i shook my head no and then she proceeded to tell me that she wants to be a major contributor to my trip. i bawled (surprise!) and felt so humbled. when i went to discuss the Lord with them and talked about india two months ago, they didn't understand why i felt it was necessary to go halfway around the world. they didn't understand my needing to follow Christ's lead. they accepted Christ the next morning and in the last two months i have seen changes in them-- positive ones. it is amazing to me how God can transform a heart of confusion to a heart of support and desire to help provide. i am excited! i am thankful and so humbled, but also so excited to see how God will be faithful to the contribution they are making. God has blessed me so.

annnnnnd, another blessing made it's way to my mailbox yesterday-- a scholarship and financial aid that i was not anticipating! now, even though i'm gone for 6 weeks this summer, the money that i would normally be making to pay my bill has essentially been covered. i serve an amazing God. i don't know how anyone could look at that situation and not see how God has perfectly orchestrated this opportunity. *sigh. it just makes me so happy.

granted, there is still some more of my bill to be covered. i am traveling down south to franklin, in, this weekend for a scholarship interview, so if you're reading this, pray it goes well! i just want to share my heart and convey my strengths without appearing fake. i hate fake.

in other news, i have to learn how to eat without utensils and with my right hand while in india. that thrills me. ha. i should really start practicing, but it's so hard! no waving, no touching, no eating, no nothing with my left hand! it's unclean! hahaha. my whole life and i never even knew it...shoot. alright, well i think that's about it for now so it's time for bed. drowsiness is overtaking me... :) i'll be sleeping tight and remembering india in my prayers.

0 comments: